Bubble and Squeak
Bubble and Squeak are our School Guinea Pigs!
There are many benefits to having school pets, including;
- Having animals to care for ties in with our PSHE and values curriculum – showing empathy, care, love, compassion, understanding, commitment and building confidence
- Pets can support pupils with other areas of the curriculum such as reading, communication, observation and speaking as well as learning specifically about living things and how to care for them
- School pets can be particularly helpful for pupils with special educational needs (SEN) especially Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs.
- School pets can also be used as a reward.
- For some children, it will be their only contact with a pet as they don’t have them at home
Bubble and Squeak are looked after each week by a nominated class. Children learn about how to care for living things including the 5 welfare standards and how to be responsible for their general care. They can also support children by listening to them read, having a calming influence without being critical.