Bishop Martin is supporting the needs of Young Carers and their Families
At Bishop Martin Church of England Primary School, we want all our students to flourish and be able to achieve and this means we are committed to developing outstanding provision and support for young carers and their families.
As a school we will demonstrate this commitment by widening our provision, building on the needs of the young people, and better meeting young carers’ needs by reviewing our provision for young carers with a view to ultimately achieving best practice.
What is a Young Carer?
A young carer is a child or young person under the age of 18 who is caring for one or more family members (e.g. parent, grandparent, sibling) who have:
- Long term physical illnesses
- A mental health condition
- Substance misuse issues
Being a carer means looking after someone who could not cope without their support for anything from a couple of hours a week, to full-time.
Many young people don’t see themselves as carers and may not realise there is practical and emotional support available in school and in Liverpool.
We recognise that young carers may need a little extra support to enjoy and do well at school. We are committed to ensuring that all students who are young carers are identified and supported effectively.
You may be a young carer if you…
- Care for a family member, because of illness, disability or old age
- Help someone with bathing or dressing, going to the toilet or getting into/out of bed
- Need to cook for your family
- Look after money or organise the family budget
- Help anyone to take medication regularly
- Collect prescriptions or benefits on behalf of someone else or go shopping for the family
- Look after brothers or sisters, by taking them to school, doing their laundry, or cooking their meals
- Take care of housework, such as dusting, hoovering, washing or ironing
- Speak on behalf of someone who has difficulty speaking or communicating for themselves
- Translate or interpret for someone at home
How your school can help our Young Carers:
- The whole school is committed to meeting the needs of young carers so that they can attend and enjoy school in the same way as other students to achieve their full potential.
- We have appointed a designated Young Carers’ School Lead (Mr Byrne) with responsibility for young carers and their families.
- Students and families will be made aware of the identity of this lead and how to contact them to access support.
- The school only shares information with professionals and agencies on a need-to-know basis to support pupils and their families.
- We will actively seek feedback and ideas from young carers and their families to shape and improve support.
- The school has an effective referral system and strong partnership in place with relevant external agencies, including referral to Liverpool Young Carers.
- We will strive to achieve best practice for students and families and be committed to developing provisions for young carers and their families.
Students can access information in school via a noticeboard near Year 2 or by speaking with Mr Byrne, the Young Carers Lead.
If you wish to make contact with the Young Carer Lead (Mr Byrne) please email: email@example.com or call on 0151 428 6295.
Our Young Carers Lead is Mr Byrne.